S.O.S.

Spectator Of Sports · Football · Basketball · Baseball · Hunting

Monday, November 27, 2006

Info On Clothes Driers

I received this in an email and felt it was worth sharing. . .I actually cleaned my screen on the lint filter and it was dirty. . .



>The heating unit went out on my dryer!
>
> The guy that fixes things went in to the dryer pulled out the lint filter.
>
> It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of
>
> clothes.
>
> He told us that he wanted to show us something. He took the filter over to
>
> the sink, ran hot water over it. Now, the lint filter is made of a mesh
>
> material - I'm sure you
>
> know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. WELL...the hot water just
>
> sat on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go through it at all!!! He told us
> that
>
> dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating
>
> unit. You can't SEE the film, but it's
>
> there. This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire & potentially
>
> burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer
>
> working for a very long
>
> time (& to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out &
> wash
>
> it with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least
> every
>
> six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as
>
> long! How about that???!!!! Learn something new everyday! I certainly
>
> didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, I
>
> Thought I'd share! Note: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running
>
> water on it. The water ran thru a little bit but mostly collected all the
>
> water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water & a nylon
> brush
>
> & I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it the water ran right
>
> thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all! That repairman knew
> what
>
> he was talking about!



Please forgive me if I post a lot of things like this or don't post at all these next few weeks. My semester is winding down and I will be hooked up getting projects finished up, studying for tests and chasing the boys at ballgames. . .

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

11 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm going to check that out...
I may not clean house, but I do laundry

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger katy said...

guess what i am going to do! yep i going to go and wash me filter, thanks for that!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger willowtree said...

I actually did know that. And its why I never use those dryer sheets. In fact I don't even use a dryer anymore, it takes years off the life of your clothes, all that lint has to come from somewhere!

Good luck with the rest of the semseter.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I have to say that since I bought a front loading washing machine I have a lot less lint than before!! (much less!!!)

I've gotten this e-mail before. Pretty freaky.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

LOL Pamela! The pics we have seen of your house - you keep a VERY NEAT place. . .Wish I could say that.

Her Indoors - anytime. . . :)

Willowtree - thank you. . .I actually don't use dryer sheets either but I still cleaned the filter. . .

Karmyn - guess when I replace my washer (hopefully it will be awhile) I will need to consider a front loader. . .

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck on finals!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

hmmm...I have to either bring my stuff to the FluffNFold or use the common laundry room...which means, it ain't my problem! :)

Good luck with the rest of the semester!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Susan in va said...

THANK YOU! I'm going to clean mine right now!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger its_amyia1977 said...

What a great little tip. I'll have to let my friends and family know about that. Hope you're having a great day Ms Shauna! Did you notice I put your site as one of my friends in the left-hand column of my page??

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, just out and about visiting a little today...this is interesting info, have not seen it before. I'm off and running to clean my dryer lint filter with theHansMan's toothbrush and some soapy water.
How's the toe?

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Poor Hans - his toothbrush? Did he make you mad?

Will be posting a new pic of the toe soon. . .MAN IT LOOKS SO GOOD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home